LISTEN HERE...

LISTEN HERE...

Friday, October 25, 2013

I'm Living Proof of God's Redeeming Love


Most of you only see what I've become. But you don't know the struggle I've had in getting here.

You know Amy Redding to be a godly wife and homeschooling mother of seven children who loves to sing and talk about Jesus. Yep, that's me...TODAY.

Growing up, for the most part, I was a good kid, compliant and obedient, wanting to please my parents and live rightly. I was saved at a young age so God was with me convicting me when I was wrong and teaching me to do right. But I haven't always prioritized being holy. There are moments I wish I could erase. But alas, I'll have to be content with the fact that God has redeemed me and can use my testimony about those moments.

I was thinking last night about one of them. It was something I said as a teen to one of my music teachers. It's ironic really, given the title of my last album.

Mrs. E. wanted me to sing in an ensemble for music contests. I grew up singing with my family, so singing songs of faith was no new thing to me. But for some reason when she asked me to sing, with an ornery huff, I replied, "Ok fine. But I don't want to sing any of that 'Holy Holy Holy' stuff". Mrs. E's eyebrows raised, her lips parted and she was speachless. Mean while, the other kids in my class also reacted to my out of character retort with laughter, gasps of astonishment and smirks. The rest is a blur.

I don't know why I said it. The truth of it was, I earnestly desired to be holy back then, just as much as I do today. But for some reason, it seemed harder and more unattainable during those years. It might be because there were other things running in the background of my childhood that colored my view of who I could and would become. Those things seemed to damn me to a life of unworthiness, and I felt I would never escape them.

Fast forward to today. Holiness is an ordinary way of life for our family. The chains of condemnation that once hung heavy around my neck are now gone and I'm living a picture perfect, ideal life with a wonderful, loving husband and multiple blessings that grace each day. If anyone would have told me that day, when I mouthed off to Mrs. E., what my life was going to be, I wouldn't have believed them. I would have wanted it to be true, but I wouldn't have believed them.

You maybe didn't know that at one time, my life seemed hopeless and damned. But I'm living proof of God's redeeming love. So, today, if you feel like you'll never rise above your current situation, I would encourage you not to give up on Jesus and to pursue a godly life. He is able to pull you through.

Philippians 1:6 "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

No comments: