LISTEN HERE...

LISTEN HERE...

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

If I Should Die Before They Wake


I wouldn't consider myself a morbid person.  But I am aware that at any given moment God may call me home.  I'm not in any way guaranteed another day or moment to spend with those I love.  Knowing that I may not have the time to "work up the courage" to broach the subjects of God and eternity, I tend to be direct and speak freely about these things.  I am not embarrassed about my faith.  I am not shy about it.  There is no good reason for me to hesitate in sharing the truth that I know.  I just do it.  As vocal as I am, I often think to myself, 'I need to foster more teachable moments with my kids.'

This song, written by Jennie B. Wilson, is titled,  "Hold To God's Unchanging Hand".  It perfectly reflects my prayers and wishes for my children save for the second line in the last verse.  When I sing this song I change it to say, "Trust in God who has been true".  

Time is filled with swift transition,
Naught of earth unmoved can stand.
Build your hopes on things eternal,
Hold to God's unchanging hand.

Hold to His hand, To God's unchanging hand
Hold to His hand, To God's unchanging hand
Build your hopes on things eternal
Hold to God's unchanging hand.

Trust in Him who will not leave you,
Whatsoever years may bring
If by earthly friends forsaken
Still more closely to Him cling

Covet not this world's vain riches
That so rapidly decay,
Seek to gain the heavenly treasures,
They will never pass away

When your journey here is ended
If to God you have been true (Trust in God who has been true),
Fair and bright your home in glory
Your enraptured soul will view.

God knows how deep my love runs for those He has placed in my life.  I long for the day when they awaken to the knowledge of the truth.  But, If I should die before they wake, I want to be sure that I took advantage of every opportunity God has given me to tell them about His love and justice.  I want to be sure I took every opportunity to show them His love.  And when I stand before Him, may He be pleased.   May it be so.