LISTEN HERE...

LISTEN HERE...

Friday, September 13, 2013

All Creation Praises Him...Right?


Anthropomorphism -basically ascribing a human characteristic to something that is not human. 


When I was young if I forgot to kiss one of my dolls goodbye before I left for school I would feel horrible all day thinking he/she would be sad because of my neglect.  I also tend to think of spoons as being female...forks are male.  And all my life I have believed that creation can and does "know" and "praise" it's Creator.  That creation never ever forgot Him like man has.  


It isn't like I believe we live in Narnia.  But if you've ever gone hunting in the wee hours of the morning and sat silently waiting for dawn, you KNOW the sound of the earth waking up.  It is completely silent...and there's a chill over the earth and all of a sudden the trees begin to "stretch"...and you can hear it!  Their leaves begin to rustle (or is it clapping?).  The birds begin to sing (are they singing to Jesus?) and even the air takes on the feeling of being "alive".  The wind resumes it's travel (is it a troubadour?)  and the rest of the animals seem to rejoice in the wonder of dawn at it's Creator's grace for another day.  I've experienced this many times, and it always amazes me!  


I've never thought of this as anthropomorphism, though this is what Paul says it is.  I just took scripture literally rather than poetically when considering verses like,  


Romans 8:22 " For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now"


Isaiah 55:12 "For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands."


1 Chronicles 16:33 "Then the trees of the forest will sing, they will sing for joy before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth."


Psalm 65:13 "The meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are mantled with grain; they shout for joy and sing."


Psalm 69:34 "Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas and all that move in them,"


Psalm 96:12 "let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy;"


Psalm 98:8 "Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together for joy;"


And when Jesus' disciples were praising Him and the pharasees told Him to silence them (Luke 19:40) "He answered, 'I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.'"


I always just assumed that the same knowledge that COMPELS me to praise God compels creation to praise Him.  Every morning my mind is turned toward my Savior and irresistibly I call out to Him in praise and wonder and adoration for His grace and mercy in the new day.  And it seems to overwhelm me and consume me to a point where I feel it doesn't really originate from within me but instead is the due response (something creation itself has not forgotten) to God's presence.  And yet...there are many people who go on about their lives and business in complete disregard for Him.  They seem unaware of His presence, where creation seems completely aware.  They seem lost and misguided and empty where creation knows it's source of beauty and strength and worth.      


One day, God will make the truth known to me whether creation truly does express it's knowledge of of Him or if it is simply anthropomorphism that I am perceiving.  Either way, God is worth praising.  Will YOU praise Him or will you leave that to the rocks and trees?  



No comments: