LISTEN HERE...

LISTEN HERE...

Friday, August 8, 2014

Cryptic Messages


We've all seen them on Facebook. They're the "hook" that people often use to suck us into their world of drama. It can be quite comical, and sometimes embarrassing the way it's done. God never works like that. He doesn't depend on the wow factor of scandal or conflict to draw us in. And His message has remained the same throughout the ages. He says, "Seek Me".

We've probably all sung these words;

"You are my strength when I am weak.
 You are the treasure that I seek.
 You are my all in all."

These words often leave our lips during Sunday morning worship, but do they come from the genuine confession of our hearts that Jesus is the treasure...the ONLY treasure worth pursuing?

When God called Abram, He asked him to uproot himself and forsake everything a man could possibly hold dear on this earth.

Genesis 12:1 "The Lord had said to Abram, 'Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.'"

And amazingly, Abram did so. He saw that GOD was the only true treasure and willingly abandoned everything in pursuit of Him.

Fast forward to when Jesus walked the earth and what do we see Jesus telling His disciples?

Matthew 16:24 "Then Jesus told his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.'"

His call has never changed. He still desires that we would treasure Him above all other things in life. In fact, the first commandment is still the number one commandment;

"I am The Lord your God, you shall have no other gods before me"

or as Jesus said it,

"You shall love The Lord with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind"

With God there really aren't any cryptic messages. He is quite clear about what is MOST important to Him. And there is no scandalous wow factor, no drama, no desperate grasping for attention on His part. He simply gives His command, and waits for HIS will to become our treasure. Our only treasure.

With all the distractions in the world, the call is still amazingly clear. More than anything I want to see Jesus. I want to be known by Him. He is the treasure that I seek. He is my all in all.

No comments: