LISTEN HERE...

LISTEN HERE...

Friday, August 1, 2014

The Long Journey



"What! Light is energy?" This was Elias(8) this morning as he was reading his 4th grade science text book.

"Mama, did I reduce this fraction right?" This came from Jediah(11).

"Mama, did you know I am good at coloring?" Camon asked as he colored his pictures.

And all the while the others are sitting quietly doing their lessons.

I've been home educating my children from the beginning. There have been many ups and downs during the years, but honestly what has been my greatest challenge as a mother has also proven to be one of my greatest joys.

Not only do I give them an academic education. I get to include in their curriculum, biblical studies and character training in godliness. These are so important to my husband and I that we've pursued this homeschooling endeavor with passion and conviction.

Don't get me wrong. There are definitely days when I've questioned my sanity. The thought of freeing up my days by sending my kids to school is sometimes very tempting. I think of all the things I could get done around the house, or the freedom I'd have to go and visit at the coffee shop in the middle of the morning and I find myself questioning, "why am I doing this?". Then I remember.

I have these children for just a short little time, and then they are gone. The older I get the shorter the days seem to be. And the years as well, pass by so quickly that I find myself wondering where they've gone. Emma is soon to graduate, yet to me, it feels like we just began. I often ask myself, "Did I teach her the right things? Did I give her a good foundation?" and most importantly, "have I done my very best to teach her to fear and know The Lord?"

I know that all things are in the hands of God, but as a mother my earnest desire is to hear my Father say to me, "Well done thou good and faithful servant!". So, I press on one day at a time. And in doing this, I've learned to look for the small things that encourage me to keep going. The small little discoveries like the fact that light is energy, become almost magical when you see the wonder in their eyes. But even more so engaging is the wonder I see in their eyes when they realize that all the great and amazing things in their science text books point to "one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." (Ephesians 4:6) and that this God loves them dearly.

I'm just thinking today, about the "long" journey this endeavor seemed to be at first. And I'm remembering the challenging days when I wanted to give up and hand my children over to the "professionals". But in spite of the difficulties, I do not regret this undertaking.  It has been the most important investment of my life, because I've been pouring unquestioned truth into my children from their infancy. And I know that my efforts have not been in vain.

Not every mother has taken the same path I have. If you are on a different path, do not feel judged by me. I only do what God has called me to do. But if you are a home schooling mom, let me encourage you today:

"be not weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Galatians 6:9

This verse has been a great encouragement to me. I hope it is an encouragement to you as well.

No comments: